"What are you doing?" I asked Cornelius. He was staring at a wall with a fixed air, as though concentrating.
"I am protesting" he replied.
I took a while to think about this, it wasn't like I had a great deal else to do, so I might as well give this some consideration. Cells died, an early bee whirred helplessly against the window, Empires rose and fell, my breakfast digested a trifle further. Eventually, I asked "Why?"
His expression didn't alter. "I am taking a stand for free speech." I gave this a bit more thought, it passed the time. Being pro free-speech is, I tend to assume, one of those things one simply is, it's not like its a position which needs airing. It's like being pro blood circulation.
"How, exactly?" Cornelius turned briefly to look at me, he looked tired. Clearly protesting was taking it out of him.
"I am not watching Good Morning Britain"
"Do you normally watch Good Morning Britain?"
"Of course not. But I am deliberately not watching it today in protest at the disgraceful treatment of Piers Morgan."
"But Piers Morgan's a complete arse."
"I know Piers Morgan's a complete arse." I was confused, I had not hitherto discerned any level of Morgan fandom in the personality of my friend, and here he was confirming that.
"So, why are you protesting his treatment? and what treatment is it anyway? he shot his mouth off, was a complete dick and then flounced off, probably to another job"
"Practice"
"Practice for what?" He nodded toward the kitchen table, and I wandered over to it, taking the long way round to kill a few more seconds. Next to my slowly cooling tea was a piece of paper, with the heading "HAVE YOU HAD ENOUGH OF EXPERTS?" It was an application form for the position of Contrarian Talking Head, the successful applicant would be required to do the rounds of TV studios providing balance to the views of someone who knew what they were talking about on whatever issue was exercising people on that given day.
I looked at my friend admiringly, it was just like him to go the extra mile and really put the research in. Which, of course, meant he was eminently unsuitable for the position he was applying for. But I kept these thoughts to myself as I sipped my now cold tea reflectively. It is always better to travel in hope, I always think.
Comments
Post a Comment