The Brexit Laments
ACT I: AMANDA’S ABANDONED LASAGNE
Scene: a Civil Servant
is alone in a dimly lit room. She is working at a furious pace. The rest of the
room is full of empty desks stacked with piles of paper at varying angles. For
some minutes all we hear is the clatter of her fingers on the keyboard. After
some time she stands.
CIVIL SERVANT:
I can’t be doing with this
I have to get home
I have to make tea
I’ve been here three years
And I’ve barely got started
There’s no time to transfer
There’s no real scope
And I’ve an Aldi lasagne
In the fridge at home
I was going to make
My own garlic bread
I’ve got a Jamie Oliver recipe
I can’t
Be doing
with this
She circles the room,
gracefully, expressively, before tripping on a filing cabinet as a parade of
cleaners enters the room.
CIVIL SERVANT
Bugger
The cleaners begin to
sing. There’s some dance business with mop handles and bucket. You know, like
those annoying people with the bins that used to be on the Royal variety
performance every bloody year.
CLEANERS:
She can’t be doing with this
She can’t be doing with this
She’s forgotten the lasagne
Went out of date last week
The junk mail is drifting
The milk’s got a fur coat
And when she checks her answerphone
She’s in for a nasty shock
Two of the cleaners
attempt a tap dance, but there really isn’t room. A spotlight falls on the
civil servant, stage left, tenderly holding a photograph of Liam Neeson
CIVIL SERVANT:
I like to think he’d murder for me
This photo, of course
Is a surrogate
A stand-in, a mere
Bit of wish fulfilment
For a Thursday afternoon, I did
have a photo
Of my father
Because the writer is male and God forbid
He should write a female character
Without daddy issues
But I have them, as it goes.
I do, I’ve got
My Daddy’s eyes
And Daddy was a leaver and
Thanks to him there’s all this paperwork
So many laws to rewrite
So many statutes to burn
And I’ll never get to eat
My lasagne….
CLEANERS:
She’ll never eat her…….lasagne
A crescendo, the
curtain falls, there’s the sound of muffled sobbing, and the clicking of a
keyboard
Comments
Post a Comment