I had to pick my words carefully.
I had been up most of the night, agonising over a social media post about what was the album that I found most influential. This was a weighty question. The answer would be seen by literally several people, and it would go a long way to proving my continuing cultural relevance, even though I hadn't written anything in months since that contretemps in the coffee shop.
Contretemps. Ha, still got it.
It was a toss up between two records. One was a rap album, the other a later record from a guitar rock band who'd decided to prove they could do other things. I'd discarded some more obscure ones in case no one knew who they were, and also because, although owning them for many years, I'd never actually listened to them. One would paint me as rising above mere genre concerns, able to reach out and embrace a music which may be considered threatening and edgy, but never bourgeois. The other would bolster my intellectual credentials as, being almost completely unlistenable in parts, it had received an excellent reception in the heavyweight press. Which ever I picked would define me for years to come in the eyes of people I would never meet again. It could change everything,
I pressed enter. I prepared for my new life.
I had been up most of the night, agonising over a social media post about what was the album that I found most influential. This was a weighty question. The answer would be seen by literally several people, and it would go a long way to proving my continuing cultural relevance, even though I hadn't written anything in months since that contretemps in the coffee shop.
Contretemps. Ha, still got it.
It was a toss up between two records. One was a rap album, the other a later record from a guitar rock band who'd decided to prove they could do other things. I'd discarded some more obscure ones in case no one knew who they were, and also because, although owning them for many years, I'd never actually listened to them. One would paint me as rising above mere genre concerns, able to reach out and embrace a music which may be considered threatening and edgy, but never bourgeois. The other would bolster my intellectual credentials as, being almost completely unlistenable in parts, it had received an excellent reception in the heavyweight press. Which ever I picked would define me for years to come in the eyes of people I would never meet again. It could change everything,
I pressed enter. I prepared for my new life.
Comments
Post a Comment